Hello everyone! This is going to be a new feature thingy on UnderratedGems where I recommend links to inspirational or cool websites (or videos) that I find each week. The sections will change according to each week’s discoveries, so make sure to check them out every week for surprises. And here’s to hoping you learn or discover some new things while you browse my links.
- Make Homemade Umeboshi 梅干: have you tried pickled vegetables 榨菜 or had preserved plums 话梅? Umeboshi are similar; tart in flavor, with a slight saltiness. In Japan, people will eat umeboshi on top of plain rice when they don’t have other dishes. It gives a kick of flavor and never fails to make my mouth water. I’ve seen umeboshi in Jdramas where the students will pack this into their lunchboxes. You can also find these pickled plums in snack form at Asian groceries. With this famous recipe on umeboshi, you can now make it at home!
- Kpop is Considered Childish Among Koreans?: Noticed how much of Korean pop music is present on Youtube or on popular forums? It. Is. Everywhere. (everywhere that is, when you have an asian community) Have you wondered that maybe all this hype about kpop is mostly centered around the international fans? This essay suggests that Kpop is actually not a focal culture of Korean people, but its main audience are pre-publescent girls. Whatever you make of it, ’twas an interesting read.
- Jenn Im’s Everyday Makeup Tutorial: Not every makeup tutorial out there will include commentary like “this liner is just whatever – it’s like the best whatever” and “my powder just locks everything in place and seals all my hardwork”. Quotable and funny, this girl knows just the things to brighten up a typical makeup video. Let’s not forget her eloquent choice of words. I bet men could even watch her vids without fast-forwarding to the end.
- Get This Look – Yoona’s <Love Rain> Fashion: I love fashion. I love dramas. What is there not to love about this? Well, I guess, the price tag.
- Recap of <Itazura na Kiss ~ Love in Tokyo> Episode 3: I love the way SleeplessSpirits does the recaps. We are given lots and lots of yummy screencaps with some commentary and summarizing.
Have you read an interesting article lately? Share it with us in the comments below~
P.S. Help me come up with a title for this new feature! Something a little more creative than “Links to Check Out”.