Lan Ling Wang – a pictures post
By now, maybe you have been intrigued at this refreshing take on typical Chinese period dramas called “Lan Ling Wang/兰陵王”. It stars talented actors Ariel Lin and Feng Shao Feng. After jotting down quick overall thoughts about the drama after I finished it, I wanted to retell the drama with images and captions. Who is your all-time favorite character in Lan Ling Wang? And what is the most memorable quote?
1. our main girl is a descendant of the magical clan of “Nv Wa” and forget magical! she’s just a human girl with an unfortunate ancestry that claims stuff she can’t do
2. really, she’s just a everyday girl who has street smarts and helps people in need. She’s also an inventor! she’s taught people to make fire, filter out dirty water, and surprised the king with fireworks
3. well, and she falls in love with the only man her family (her grandmother) forbids – cause the whole story is based on one prophecy:
4. the man in question is a legendary general who fights with a mask because he’s just too gosh-dang pretty to let loose on the battlefield! Name: Lan Ling Wang (royal title) Gao Chang Gong (real name) Si Ye (called by servants) Su Er (called by own grandma)
5. Yu Wen Yong (the king of the Zhou kingdom), he’s actually NOT an antagonist like you would expect
Just Friendzoned is all.
6. As a show set in a warring period (about a general), there’s surprisingly FEW actual battles
7. And not really much political intrigue, which is good
8. This show’s got too many well-meaning fellows…
9. And hot subordinates who melt chocolate bars when they smile…
10. But any romance drama is not a complete drama without a scary and sadistic ball of poop, the-home wrecker: Zheng Er
11. I guess thankfully good people outweigh the bad?
12. Poor lovers. Xue Wu and too-many-names didn’t ask for much, just to live happily and romantically in the countryside for the rest of their lives.
13. until Zheng Er interferes.
14. Boy is she unrelenting and meticulous. Even Gao Wei, who normally let’s her have her way, gets anxious:
15. Gao Wei made two mistakes: hatin’ on the common people’s favorite Lan Ling Wang, and becoming Zheng Er’s puppet…
OK, you’re like, stop. Just tell me if Ariel and Feng Shao Feng get together and have happy moments together.
The answer is, yes! They have many many funny, adorable happy episodes together.
Some parting words of advice: beware of the cliffhangers, this drama does SUCH a good job with cliffhangers that you will not be able to stop watching once you start. Control yourself!
But to Zheng Er, let’s say this in unison:
It’s okay if you didn’t understand what he told her, it’s exactly what you think: I WANT YOU TO DISAPPEAR, POOPYFACE.
Finally, I just want to comment on a few random things I don’t understand:
- Zheng Er not having feelings for the king AND lying to him the entire time
- Lan Ling Wang’s hairstyle and outfits are so incredibly unappealing, yes I have to say it. (god forbid braided ponytails & a gaudy shade of purple together)
- why does Xue Wu never learn her lesson to NOT follow strange children around? she’s asking for kidnapping.
- why are some people easily killed and not even mentioned after their death? is it that nobody else’s deaths are important than our main couples’?
- thought Lan Ling Wang would have more guts than letting Gao Wei have his way….
- how does anyone survive falling off a cliff….?! (count number: 2)
Source: 1, Google Images
Lan Ling Wang thoughts on Episode 1-15
Lan Ling Wang thoughts on Episode 16-30
Lan Ling want thoughts on Episode 31-46